Recalled Arthritis Drug Bextra Linked to Stroke, Heart Attack and Serious Skin Condition
In 2002, early warnings and evidence emerged about potential harmful side effects for the drug valdecoxib, manufactured and marketed under the brand name Bextra. In 2005, the manufacturer of Bextra voluntarily recalled the drug due to safety concerns of an increased risk of cardiovascular events (including heart attack and stroke) in patients taking the drug – three years after warnings originally surfaced. If you or a loved one suffered severe side effects after taking Bextra, a personal injury attorney may be able to help you.
Bextra Side Effects
In addition to an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and the serious skin condition Steven Johnson Syndrome, patients taking Bextra may suffer from side effects including:
- Abdominal pain, tenderness, or discomfort
- Bloody vomit
- Fatigue or lethargy
- Flu-like symptoms
- Skin rash
- Swelling or water retention
- Unexplained weight gain
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
The symptoms from taking Bextra, a COX-2 non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, are often severe and even life-threatening. The results from these side effects may lead to:
- Angina (chest pain or discomfort caused by your heart not receiving enough oxygen-rich blood)
- Blood clots
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Heart attack
- Liver failure
- Other serious skin reactions
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome (a fatal skin disease)
- Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (a life-threatening skin disorder)
Timeline of Bextra Side Effects
Marketed for the miraculous pain relief it brought to people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and severe menstrual pain, early warnings and evidence emerged about potential harmful side effects of Bextra:
- 2002 - Label warnings for Bextra were changed to indicate the possibility of severe skin reactions.
- 2002 - European Medicines Evaluation Agency (the European equivalent of the FDA) issues a public statement warning about Bextra side effects.
- 2002 - Pfizer announced in a Dear Doctor letter to health professionals that Bextra can cause a potentially life threatening drug reaction called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.
- 2002 - The FDA announces that it has received about 20 reports of serious reactions to Bextra.
- 2004 (September) – The warning label was updated for the second time to reflect the death of patients from Bextra-induced Stevens Johnson Syndrome.
- 2004 (October)— Pfizer announces the results of two trials that point to an increased cardiovascular risk for patients taking Bextra. Later it is learned that Pfizer had been sitting on this information for two months.
- 2004 (October) - Six months before Pfizer recalled Bextra, the company issued a press release clearing Bextra of causing increased risks of cardiovascular thromboembolic events. Later, Pfizer acknowledged that this information was false, and the company’s own study in August 2004 linked Bextra with increased risk of heart attacks.
- 2004 (December) – The FDA orders a “black-box” warning on Bextra labels. The warning cautioned that patients undergoing heart bypass surgery should not take the drug. In addition, the FDA also strengthened warnings about the risk of serious and potentially fatal skin reactions.
- 2004 (December) - A Vanderbilt study is published indicating people taking Bextra increase their chance for a heart attack by 300%.
- 2005 (January) An American Heart Association study also associates Bextra with a 300% risk increase for a heart attack over a placebo. This is identical to the results of the Vanderbilt study.
- 2005 (April) Pfizer recalls Bextra at the request of the FDA.
Instead of immediately recalling the drug when they learned about the dangers, Pfizer chose to pursue an aggressive marketing strategy to help sales, increasing consumption of the potentially harmful drug.
Bextra Manufacturer Ordered to Pay $2.3 Billion Fine
In 2009, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) fined Pfizer $2.3 billion after they agreed to plead guilty to one felony count to settle civil and criminal charges that it illegally marketed Bextra and other drugs, plus misbranding drugs with the intent to defraud or mislead. This fined included a $1.3 billion criminal fine to resolve claims that Pfizer promoted the drug for uses that were not approved by the FDA nor established as effective and safe. It is the largest criminal fine and largest health care fraud case in United States history.
Call 1-888-BURNETTI for More Information on Bextra
In 2005, Pfizer voluntarily recalled Bextra. Unfortunately, the drug had already been prescribed to millions. If you or someone you love took Bextra and suffered from stroke, heart attack, or Stevens Johnson Syndrome, call 1-888-BURNETTI.
Calls Answered 24 Hours Day / 7 Days A Week
Se Habla Español
At Burnetti, P.A., our clients come first. We have never represented the insurance companies, and never will. We only represent victims that have suffered an injury or loss.
- Auto Accident
- Birth Injury
- BP Oil Spill
- Brain Injury
- Defective Drugs
- Defective Products
- Dog Bite
- Insurance Dispute
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accident
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Personal Injury
- Sexual Assault
- Slip and Fall
- Social Security Disability
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Trucking Accident
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Additional Practice Areas
Free Consultation for Personal Injury or Wrongful Death Claims
After a car accident, injury or wrongful death, you may have questions and wonder what your rights are. If you have a personal injury question, Burnetti, P.A. can review your potential case and help determine if you have a claim to pursue compensation (money) from the negligent person or company that caused your injuries.
At Burnetti, P.A., there's no need to worry that you can't afford a Lakeland, Orlando or Tampa personal injury lawyer or car accident lawyer. If you do not receive any compensation, you do not pay any fees or costs.
Free Consultation | 1-888-BURNETTI
Calls Answered 24 / 7
Day/Evening/Weekend Appointments Available
Home • Hospital • Our Offices
Lakeland Law Office • Tampa Law Office
Orlando Law Office
Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyers
Burnetti, P.A. is proud to serve residents across the state of Florida.
302 Knights Run Ave #820Phone: (813) 254-2400 URL of Map
Tampa, FL 33602
5337 Millenia Lakes Blvd. #100Phone: (407) 846-9000
Orlando, FL 32839
URL of Map
211 S. Florida Ave. Lakeland, FL 33801Phone: (863) 680-1131 URL of Map
Sebring - Satellite Office
160 South Commerce Avenue Sebring, FL 33870Phone: (863) 402-9000
URL of Map