According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, “Unintentional poisoning was second only to motor vehicle crashes as a cause of unintentional injury death for all ages in 2007.”
A poison can be any substance that is harmful to your body if too much is injected, inhaled, eaten, or absorbed through the skin. It can be medicines, or even everyday products around the home. If you believe someone has been poisoned from a medicine or chemical found around the house, you may contact a Poison Control Center for information on the recommended treatment for ingestion (eaten, injected, etc.). Poison Control Centers staff nurses, pharmacists, doctors, and other poison experts to answer calls and provide advice over the phone. The toll-free number is 1-800-222-1222, and can be called 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from anywhere in the United States.
This week is Poison Prevention Week. Help keep your loved ones safe by learning more about poison prevention tips, plus what to do if you have a poison emergency. The Home Safety Council has developed numerous education materials*, including an illustrated slide show, to teach consumers about poison prevention and how to call for help. You can watch the slide show by clicking here. You can also learn more about how Poison Control Centers can help you, plus information regarding first aid for poisoning, different types of poisons, and poison prevention tips by clicking here. For more information, visit the Association of Poison Control Centers.