In association with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the following ten manufacturers recalled pool and spa drain covers due to a possible entrapment hazard for swimmers:
- A&A Manufacturing, of Phoenix, AZ
- AquaStar Pool Products Inc., of San Diego, CA
- Color Match Pool Fittings, of Surprise, AZ
- Custom Molded Products, of Tyrone, GA
- Hayward Pool Products, of Elizabeth, NJ
- Pentair Water Pool and Spa, of Sanford, NC
- Rising Dragon USA, of E. Sweetwater, TN
- Waterway Plastics, of Oxnard, CA
- Paramount Pool & Spa Systems, of Chandler, AZ
- Lawson Aquatics, of Naples, FL
The recall was initiated because the pool and spa drain covers were incorrectly rated to handle water flow. Approximately one million covers were sold through independent distributors to professional pool and spa builders; covers were not directly sold to customers.
Customers that had a pool or in-ground spa installed after December 18, 2008 are encouraged to visit the company’s website by clicking on its name above to verify model information. Consumers may also contact the Drain Cover Recall Hotline at 1-866-478-3521 or visit the website at www.apsp.org/draincoverrecall.
Consumers with a recalled drain cover will receive a replacement or retrofitted part depending on their make and model at no charge.
Several images are listed below for reference (please note that not all models affected by the recall are shown).
If you have been seriously injured due to a defective product or a recalled pool and in-ground spa drain cover, call 1-888-BURNETTI.