The chance of an auto accident is much higher during the holiday season, but many accidents are preventable. More drivers on the road, plus the potential for more drunk drivers with the multitude of holiday parties, and the possibility of less than ideal weather conditions makes for a dangerous mix. But with a few simple tips you can increase your chances of arriving at your destination safely.
1. Avoid distracted driving: This is the number 1 cause of auto accidents, and it’s also easily avoidable. Don’t use the GPS, change the radio station, or call or text on your cell phone while driving. If you are driving to another state, check their laws on cell phone use while driving. Many states have banned it, and you may get a ticket.
2. Check your car out: Do simple maintenance checks like checking your tires for sufficient and even tread, oil and fluid levels, and that your windshield wipers are in good shape.
3. Pack some safety essentials: Make sure you have things like ice scrapers, cell phones, a flashlight (with extra batteries), jumper cables, blankets, a first aid kit, cell phone, and some light snacks and water in case of an emergency.
4. Plan your trip: Basic trip planning such as ensuring extra time to get where you are going. Identifying and planning a route (maybe print directions just as a backup to the GPS if it stops functioning), and planning regular stops to reduce fatigue and increase alertness are all good ideas.
5.Buckle up and slow down: Two of the easiest tips to follow, and also easily ignored by some drivers and passengers. It may be tempting to unbuckle to turn around and talk with the kids in the back seat, or to press the gas pedal a little harder to make up time after a traffic tie-up, but don’t let temptation take over. Safety first!
6. Don’t drink and drive: If you do imbibe this holiday season, please designate a sober driver. Or plan in advance and write down the name of a cab service or two in your area. Many cities offer free taxi service during the holiday season to ensure everyone gets home safely.
Following these basic driving tips can help you and your loved ones have a wonderful and safe holiday season.
With increased travel during this time of year, it is even more important to drive safely. If you become injured during your travels due to someone else’s negligence, a car accident lawyer may be able to help you pursue a claim for compensation. Call 1-888-BURNETTI with questions regarding your legal needs.