The advocacy subsidiary of Consumer Reports has asked the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to take action to safeguard children from dangers posed by single-use laundry detergent packs. The Consumers Union points to the nearly three thousand calls received by poison control centers nationwide since the start of 2012 about children under age five ingesting the packs as the catalyst for the request.
The detergent packs are small, single-use packs of laundry detergent, and are often brightly colored and squishy, making them enticing to children. Once swallowed, the packs can cause serious injury to children. In some instances, children have required surgery for swelling or internal cuts, or placed on ventilation.
Regulations suggested by the group include larger warning labels, child-safe packaging, and changing the color of the liquid or using an opaque wrapper. If a child does swallow a detergent pack, contact poison control at 1-800-222-1222 immediately as serious effects can happen rapidly.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured due to a detergent packet, a defective products attorney may be able to help you pursue the compensation you deserve. For more information, call 1-888-BURNETTI.