Seven large automakers are recalling millions of vehicles due to hazards caused by the airbag casing in the vehicles. The airbags were manufactured by the Japanese company Takata, one of the three largest manufacturers of airbags around the globe. Humid climates are one of the speculated causes behind the airbag issues. The casing around the airbag’s inflator can rupture, posing serious safety hazards to drivers and passengers. One accident report detailed the injuries an individual sustained when an exploding airbag released a piece of metal that blinded him in an eye and caused lacerations requiring 100 stitches.
Too much pressure from the humidity may be building up inside the airbag system causing them to erupt with too much force. Florida and Puerto Rico were where most incidents occurred.
The models recalled are:
- Honda: Civics (2001-2005), Accords (2001-2007), CR-Vs (2002-2006), Odyssey (2002-2004)
- Nissan: Maximas (2001-2003), Pathfinders (2001-2003), I30/I35s (2001-2003)
- Mazda: Mazda 6 (2003-2007) RX-8s (2004-2008)
- Toyota: Corollas (2003-2005), Matrixs (2003-2005), Sequoias (2003-2005), Tundras (2003-2005)
- Dodge: Chargers (2006)
- Ford: Mustangs (2005-2007), GTs (2005-2006), Rangers (2004)
- BMW: Certain models in the 3 Series
The automakers will send out recall notices to owners about replacing the airbags in models with the defective airbags.
If you have sustained a serious injury due to a defective product, Burnetti, PA product liability lawyers may be able to file a defective product lawsuit on your behalf. Burnetti, PA’s team of trial experienced attorneys are dedicated to helping those injured due to the negligence of an individual or a company. For more information, call 1-888-BURNETTI or fill out a free case evaluation at https://www.burnetti.com.