Every day, there are several accidents on the roads in Florida. Each year in the US, close to 40,000 people die from car accidents and of these, nearly 2,500 deaths happen in Florida. In addition, countless others are seriously injured and disabled. A significant number of car owners involved in car accidents are either underinsured or have no auto insurance at all. Despite awareness and more policing, traffic accidents continue to occur in Florida. If you’ve been involved in a car accident, a car accident attorney can help.
Common Causes of Florida Car Accidents
The majority of driving accidents can be prevented if drivers would just be a little more cautious when driving and demonstrate a greater sense of responsibility. But many times, this does not happen. That is why we see an increasing number of accidents on our roads today, and why a car accident attorney can be necessary. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Florida include the following:
- Distracted driving: A majority of car accidents in Florida are due to distracted driving. The distraction may be because of eating while driving, texting, or using the mobile phone. With the huge number of vehicles on the road, it only takes a few seconds of distraction to result in an accident. Even though police have ramped up efforts to ticket distracted drivers, you can still see many drivers using their mobile phone while driving.
- Speeding: Speeding is another major cause of car accidents in Florida. Drivers, usually young people, continue to drive at high speeds, regardless of traffic or pedestrians. The faster a vehicle is traveling, the longer it takes to come to a full stop if there is an obstruction ahead. And when a driver who is speeding is involved in a car accident, the injuries to both parties tend to be severe. Speeding is not only limited to car owners but also truckers and bus drivers.
- Disobeying traffic laws: Another very common cause of car accidents is not obeying traffic laws. Some drivers constantly run through traffic lights and others fail to come to a full stop at a red light. Many others simply ignore speed limits and yet others make left or right-hand turns, even when not permitted.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving is another major cause of motor vehicle accidents in Florida. This is particularly true during the weekend, and holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and July 4th. Drunk driving accidents account for nearly 30% of all traffic fatalities. Each year roughly 700-800 people are killed in Florida as a result of drunk drivers. Too much alcohol is known to impair mental status and can delay response time; thus, when driving while drunk, the risk of an accident is very high. People who are drunk also have impaired judgment and delayed reaction times. Drunk driving is most common among young people, teenagers, and adolescents. Drunk driving is a serious crime and associated with serious penalties in Florida.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving includes suddenly changing lanes without looking, tailgating other motorists, ignoring road signs, trying to show off on the roads and disregarding all traffic laws. Reckless driving is common among young people and in many cases, it is also associated with a higher risk of accidents and serious injuries to others.
- Not using caution: Car accidents also occur when the driver does not use caution or does not adjust according to road conditions. Some drivers continue to speed even when the roads are wet or slippery. Sometimes there is fog, and people still do not slow down.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a car accident due to the fault of another driver, you can get compensated for injuries, and pain and suffering. Contact a car accident lawyer at Burnetti, P.A. for more information about your legal options. At Burnetti Law, we have a team of car accident attorneys who have the necessary skills required to defend your case. Make sure that you provide them with as much information as you can about the accident. If you have any images of the site of the accident and if you were able to take the other driver’s registration information, license, and insurance policy, you should provide this as well to our car accident attorney.
When they have all the necessary information, they can then conduct a thorough investigation and based on their findings, they will prepare your case to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Call us today, and one of our car accident lawyers will be happy to assist you.