Laundry detergent pods are designed to dissolve in water and make washing clothes easier and more convenient. However, children can mistake the colorful pods for candy and can suffer injuries if the pods are ingested. According to Safe Kids Worldwide, approximately thirty children a day ingest a detergent pod, causing breathing problems, severe eye burns, temporary loss of vision, and loss of consciousness. Over 32,000 calls to Poison Control were made in the past three years.
Children under the age of five are most at risk for ingesting the detergent pods. Eighty percent of laundry detergent pod injuries were children who swallowed a colorful pod.
Here are some safety tips to help reduce the risk of detergent pod injuries:
- Think about using traditional detergent if you have a child under the age of five
- Store laundry detergent pods out of reach of children
- Keep the laundry pods in the original container
- If a child does get into a laundry detergent pod, wash his/her mouth and hands and call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222