Nursing homes and assisted living facilities have a duty to their residents to make sure they are kept safe and their needs are met. Many nursing home facilities provide great care for their residents; however, sometimes nursing homes fail and abuse and neglect can occur. Intentional acts that harm a vulnerable resident or the failure by a caregiver to meet the resident’s basic needs are all too common. Orlando nursing home abuse attorneys rrepresent those who have been mistreated by nursing homes and strive to hold nursing home and assisted living facilities accountable for not meeting the needs of their residents.
Nursing Home Abuse Reporting
Nursing home abuse is considered widespread because many times the abuse is not detected or reported.
There are many potential signs of nursing home abuse:
- Pressure ulcers
- Reluctance to speak in staff members’ presence
- Wanting to be isolated from others
- Unexplained or unexpected death of a resident
- Unsanitary conditions
- Unexplained injuries, wounds, cuts, or bruises
- Emotionally upset or withdrawn
Other types of elder abuse due to caregivers’ negligence include:
- Poor training and negligent supervisions could lead to improper transfers resulting in a resident’s injury
- Negligence can also be accounted for bedsores occurring when a patient is not frequently moved
- If a patient does not get enough liquids or food, starvation or dehydration could result in a patient’s illness or death
Nursing Home Abuse Facts
According to a study by the Special Investigations Division of the House Government Reform Committee, 30% of nursing homes located in the United States were cited for approximately 9,000 instances of abuse during the time period of January 1999 to January 2001. Furthermore, the percentage of nursing home abuse violations increased every year since the year 1996 and steadily continues that increase today.
What Questions Should I Ask When Visiting a Nursing Home?
During the process of trying to find the right nursing home for your loved one, there are many questions you can ask to help evaluate the nursing home.
Questions to ask a nursing home administrator:
- In the event of an emergency, what hospital arrangements do you have in place?
- How much time does the staff spend with each resident?
- How often do residents fall? What do you do to help prevent falls?
- Where would we direct our concerns or questions if our loved one were a resident?
- Do you perform background checks prior to hiring staff?
Questions to ask the nursing home staff:
- How many residents do you care for?
- Do you get training and continued education?
- Do you like working with older people?
Nursing home interview questions:
- Are families around?
- Are there a lot of activities for residents?
- Are residents clothed in their own clothes or hospital gowns?
- Is there a barbershop or salon?
- Do entertainers or volunteers visit regularly?
For additional resources click here.
Contact Orlando Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Today
Individuals in nursing homes or assisted living facilities are under the care of people whom they should be able to trust. Instead, many are subjected to verbal abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, and physical abuse by caregivers or other residents. If you have suffered due to negligence by a caregiver or a nursing home, contact Orlando nursing home abuse attorneys who may be able to help you seek compensation and justice. Burnetti, P.A. injury lawyers seek to hold facilities accountable for negligent actions that have resulted in the harm of a resident. For a free consultation visit us online at https://www.burnetti.com for a free case evaluation or call 1-888-BURNETTI.
5323 Millenia Lakes Blvd Suite 300
Orlando, FL 32839
Click here for driving directions
Orlando Personal Injury Practice Areas
- Orlando Personal Injury
- Orlando Car Accidents
- Orlando Truck Accidents
- Orlando Pedestrian Accidents
- Orlando Wrongful Death
- Orlando Product Liability
- Orlando Traumatic Brain Injury
- Orlando Slip and Fall Accidents
- Orlando Motorcycle Accidents
- Orlando Medical Malpractice
- Orlando Nursing Home Abuse
- Orlando Social Security Disability
- Orlando Workers’ Compensation
- Orlando Defective Drugs
- Orlando Insurance Disputes
- Orlando Boating Accidents
- Orlando Airplane Crash
- Orlando Dog Bites