Retail Stores Voluntarily Recall Buckyball Magnet Sets Due to Ingestion Hazards
Six major retail stores have voluntarily recalled Buckyballs and Buckycubes high power magnet sets after The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reported of children swallowing the rare-earth magnets. Branded as high-powered magnetic desk toys, Buckyballs and Buckycubes pose a serious hazard if ingested, including the risk of perforating the small intestine, stomach, and bowel.
At least 54 incidents of ingestion have been reported, all of which involved children and teenagers. In all cases but one, medical attention had to be sought. One incident involved a child who mistakenly swallowed multiple magnets under the assumption that it was candy and required serious surgery to repair the extensive damage.
The CPSC Chairman Inez Tenebaum states: “We want parents to be aware of the danger associated with these innocent looking magnets. The potential for serious injury and death if multiple magnets are swallowed demands that parents and medical professionals be aware of this hidden hazard and know how to treat a child in distress.”
In the United States, approximately three million sets of Buckyballs and Buckycubes have been sold since 2010 in main retail stores nationwide. While the CPSC seeks to have the manufacturer, Maxfield & Oberton, issue a recall of the product, retailers including, Barnes & Noble, and Bed Bath & Beyond have voluntarily recalled the super-magnets on their own dime. Other retail stores have joined them in the recall.
Due to the posed hazard and the multiple incident reports of serious internal damage, the CPSC warns consumers to keep Buckyballs and Buckycubes away from children and teenagers and to contact the retailers where purchased for information about the recall.
If you or a loved one has suffered severe medical issues due to a defective product, a personal injury attorney may be able to help you obtain compensation. For more information call 1-888-BURNETTI for a free case evaluation.