You’ve probably heard that it’s a good idea to hire a car accident lawyer if you’ve been involved in a car crash. However, if you’re like some victims, you may want to avoid having to pay an attorney out of your settlement. If so, you may be considering handling your claim on your own.
If the accident didn’t result in injuries and you’re only dealing with minor damage to your vehicle, you may be able to navigate the process on your own. However, this is only if your insurance company acts in good faith. If they deny or dispute your claim, you may still need legal counsel. Any time you suffer serious injuries, you should definitely contact a Lakeland car accident lawyer.
Yes, you can attempt to handle your case on your own and only contact a lawyer if you run into trouble. However, you’ll save yourself lots of time and stress if you call an attorney from the start. Insurance companies are only concerned with their profits. If your claim is a large one, they’ll do everything they can to avoid paying.
The insurance adjuster will even call you and pretend to befriend you while hoping you’ll say something they can use against you. If they offer you anything at all, it’s unlikely to be enough to cover all your losses. If you’re injured and unable to work, you should contact our Florida car accident attorneys so you can get fair compensation and you shouldn’t take unnecessary risks. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at why it’s not a good idea to try to handle a car accident claim alone.
How Florida’s No-Fault Insurance Laws Work
Florida is a no-fault insurance state. When an accident occurs, each driver files a claim with their insurance carrier regardless of who caused the crash. This makes it simple to get compensation especially if your injuries are minor. However, if your injuries are serious, you may exceed your policy limits. In such a case, you may have to seek additional compensation from the other driver’s insurer.
This is unlikely to be simple and you may have to file a lawsuit to recover damages. You won’t be able to do this on your own. Even if you have legal training, you shouldn’t try to handle your own case, especially when you should be focusing on your recovery. Your best bet is to hire a Lakeland car accident lawyer at the earliest opportunity.
Every motorist in Florida is required to have a minimum of:
- $10,000 in personal injury protection that covers their injuries in the event of an accident
- $10,000 in property damage liability that covers any damage they do to someone else’s property in an accident
It is important to note that personal injury protection will only pay up to 80 percent of your medical expenses and 60 percent of lost income. If you don’t hire an attorney and sue for full compensation, you may have to bear the additional costs.
Benefits Of Hiring A Car Accident Lawyer In Lakeland, FL
Even if you’ve been injured in a car accident before, you won’t have the level of experience that a car accident attorney does. Lawyers know how to help victims recover maximum compensation for their injuries. You may think that you can’t afford an attorney. However, you won’t have to pay upfront. Most car accident lawyers operate on a contingent fee basis. This means you only pay when you receive compensation through settlement or negotiation.
A competent lawyer can assist you with:
- Investigating your crash. While the insurance company will investigate, they’ll do so with their interests in mind. However, your attorney will look into all aspects of the crash and look for evidence to support your claim. They’ll review police reports and medical records and talk to witnesses.
- Getting expert testimony. Experienced attorneys have access to experts who can provide opinions and testimony on various aspects of your case. These individuals may include forensic specialists, accident reconstruction experts, and medical professionals.
- Negotiating a fair settlement. The first settlement offer opens the door for negotiations. Victims who don’t have access to legal counsel often assume this is the most they will get. Attorneys know the tricks insurance companies try to they will stand up to the insurer and work to get you the amount you really deserve.
- Filing a lawsuit. Most personal injury cases in Florida can be settled without a trial. However, in some cases, a settlement doesn’t ever emerge. The insurance company may accuse you of faking your injuries or argue that the accident didn’t cause your injuries. The insurer may also believe that you’re asking for too much money. In these cases, the only way to reach an outcome may be a trial.
Contact Burnetti, P.A. After Your Accident
There’s too much at stake to try to handle your case alone. Call a Lakeland auto accident attorney at Burnetti, P.A. today to get expert advice and representation. Your first consultation is free.